Tuesday, October 21, 2014

BEFORE THE SNOW FLIES

Upon moving to the mountains and with great determination, 'the husband' and I vowed to explore the outdoors on a regular basis.  Though we faithfully walk each day.....it's almost always in our own subdivision.  Sigh.....
 Recently, we learned about a hidden waterfall in the Pisgah National Forest, off the beaten path....really off the beaten path!  After a very bumpy drive along unmarked roads, following written instructions that almost read like ' turn left at the big rock, directly after a sharp right curve....' (You get the picture) we got to the dead end and headed out on foot.   
 This was the reward!
 But I didn't ignore the gems along the way......
The hike was a tad challenging because of the numerous steep berms to navigate.....making me wish I'd have brought my walking stick!  Our black lab was in a frenzy with happiness being out in the woods.....she turned into a great sled dog.....pulling me up the steep mounds....really, she did!
I could listen to this all day......it's a very short video if you are interested.

The studio beckons.......we'll visit again very soon. 

5 comments:

Judy Warner said...

It did sound wonderful! Grey day here in Rochester. Thanks for the hike!

Nancy said...

That's a beautiful and refreshing spot. No wonder they sell CDs with waterfall sounds- it's soothing and mesmerizing. I can picture the dog, so happy to be in the great outdoors. Your location reminds me to ask if you've ever read or listened to The Mitford Series of books by Jan Karon? Delightful reads, and set in the NC mountains.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh man - me too Mary. I have so many fond childhood memories of hiking along streams and to waterfalls. Lots of sitting, listening, watching, thinking, and always difficult to drag myself away.

Not so hidden, but there's a waterfall within a 30 minute drive of me with a good trail to it that I have not explored yet. It is always so much easier to default to the closer, familiar walking spots but then we miss so very much.

Robbie said...

I'd be packing a lunch or treat often and just sitting and enjoying this!! How wonderful for you to be able to enjoy this beauty.

margaret said...

what a wonderful waterfall well worth all the effort to get to it, I am sure you will return again, you must see it in spring, summer and winter too