Sunday, June 2, 2013

FIBER JUNKIES SUN PRINTING

Summer arrived just in time for our Fiber Junkies sun printing day.  The sun and heat were totally on our side.....but the sun printing gods did not shine on our results.  We are all totally puzzled why we didn't have better success...though I am blaming it on our altitude.  I KNOW that isn't really the case but it makes as much sense as anything we could think of!

 We started with all the proper paints, a variety of fabric choices, a hot blacktop driveway, plenty of sun, and great enthusiasm.
 I chose to work with some wool that I felted.....just to see what results I'd achieve.  After wetting the felt, the paint was slopped on using foam brushes.....
....until it looked like this.
 The painted felt was placed in the sun and covered with a piece of non-slip rug padding that I cut a pattern into.  It sat, and sat, and sat....FINALLY....it dried......and when I removed the padding piece.....drat....it looked nearly the same as the photo above this one.   
We had painted fabric everywhere....surely there were going to be wonderful surprises to come.
  I had several pieces of felt and my hopes were still high.....so I eagerly continued painting.....
 Here I used sticky paper labels and salt.
Though I'm realizing now this isn't a very good photo......it is the best felted piece I did with the most visual results.

More to come tomorrow..... 

3 comments:

KathyE said...

That is soooo frustrating. Try using translucent paint next time.

The Inside Stori said...

***Yes, we did use translucdent paint...most of it was new....though some had had a shelf life.

Robbie said...

You just never know do you! I've used OLD paints (several, several years old) and they'll still work...I saw your more current post too. I think I may have used more paint ratio then you did? I never measured (I'm not good at that!)...just poured paint in a cup and added some water....you still did get a few nice pieces! Just never know...and you can always paint over again to do more sun printing. That's the fun!