Visit Mary's Gallery Shop

Mary's quilts can be purchased online here

Sunday, May 26, 2013

TREADING WATER

I've been lax in my blogging duties this week......you know how it is....sometimes life just gets busy.

 However, I have been stitching away on this project (blogged about here).  I'll admit there isn't much difference now than when I began.....however I do think the lines have become more significant and interesting.  So......now I'm officially stuck.  This piece was originally going to be a forest scene but my first attempts at adding branches/foliage didn't work.  So I stalled by doing the outline hand embroidery.

I keep going back to a nature based theme as I'm really trying to create art quilts that will have appeal for the buyers in this area. I truly need to focus on selling my work now that my teaching schedule is winding down.

I'm having a solo show at the NC Arboretum in the fall where I believe a nature theme will be better received.  The problem is I can't find my way yet. Sometimes one can't force a project, so I need to be patient and perhaps do a bit more experimenting before I cry uncle and move to another direction for this design. 
 Detail

Perhaps during this long holiday weekend I'll find my way!

4 comments:

Robbie said...

This piece is wonderful, Mary...of course, I love earth tones to start with! I've been watching grand kids and haven't done any art work in a almost a week! Nor blogging...so I know what you're saying! Take care..look forward to seeing more on this piece! love it!

The Idaho Beauty said...

This was reminding me of your pine needle piece. I don't suppose adding a few pine needles would help it along, or is it too small for that?

The Idaho Beauty said...

And then I look at it again, see you heading of "treading water" and see the blue at the bottom looking like water, as if these grasses are growing up out of a swamp...

Mary Stori said...

Good ideas...believe me I've gone through more darn options than I can believe......so far I know what I don't want to do!! Beginning however to have a small 'something' develop, however it's not a nature theme as I wanted......oh well.....