Friday, December 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON - ALMOST

The first winter of our move to Western North Carolina, I noticed these large clumps in some tall, tall trees.....


It took a bit of investigating to understand what I was seeing.  Mistletoe!  I knew it was a parasitic plant, but had never seen it in person.  You'd think it would be prized. However it can kill the host tree when heavy infestation occurs.

So.....I've been wondering....how on earth are these treasures harvested for us.....given that one's I've seen are growing 100 feet or more high?  


My new friend Vita Marie Lovett just answered that question.  Some folks just shoot them down!   Check out her blog http://vitamarielovett.com/blog/?p=1153

Thanks Vita for answering that mystery.....

1 comment:

Peg Howard said...

yep shoot it down...I remember when people used to sell it- but you dont see that any more.....
I must go get my shot gun....now I Want some mistletoe