Friday, November 13, 2009

ANTIQUE PENNY RUGS

I may have to be dragged out of Texas kicking and screaming! The Rio Grande Valley Quilt guild is one of the most friendly and hospitable guilds I've ever had the pleasure of visiting.


Today....Jeanne (who I've adopted as a 'student groupie'......meant as a compliment..... since she's taken all three of my workshops) brought 2 antique penny rugs to show me. Though I've been inspired by these mid-19 century wool beauties.....I've never seen an antique one in person. What treat! These pieces of art were made to be displayed on table tops....not on the floor as their name might suggest. They were made from wool scraps; the motifs often incorporated circles and blanket stitched edges.


We wondered whether this particular piece was made to use as a pillow cover, considering the backing.

Detail


This second piece was another typical Penny Rug style that I'd only read about. The stacked wool circles were stitched to what appeared to be a heavy muslin type fabric background.


Detail

1 comment:

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

Wow, these are really great looking older rugs.