Friday, May 1, 2009

NEARLY FINISHED

I've been on the road lately and haven't had much time to work on the Xotic-felt project.....but here's two updated photos.

I've added leaves which were hand embroidered in place, providing a 3-D affect.  I'm really liking this 50/50 bamboo/rayon felt by National Nonwovens.  It stitches like a dream, both by hand and machine.  However, I'm experiencing a bit more stretch than with the woolfelt.....it's a lighter weight so that's not a suprise.  In this view, the piece hasn't been trimmed......if you look carefully, my white thread-basted cutting lines are visible.


I anticipate this view represents the final version......it's been trimmed in Photoshop only for now.  My task is to decide how to finish the outside edges.  On a typical cotton quilt, I'd just bind it.  That process would secure the machine stitching on the bamboo stems which will be compromised when I square the quilt.  Despite being quite thin, the Xotic fabric may still be too thick to use as a binding....instead I may mat and frame the piece instead.  For now, it will remain on my wall until I can decide.  

I'm onto project #2, with pre-production thoughts about machine stitching motifs that are placed on the outside edges!!!

2 comments:

Jane Moxey said...

Love the way you cropped your bamboo piece! Wonder if machine satin stitching around the outside edge would make a nice finish? Cheers! J

The Inside Stori said...

Thanks for the suggestion Jane.......I've experimented with machine stitching around the edges of my woolfelt pieces.....any sort of decorative/satin stitching causes too much rippling....even when stabilized with a tearaway. I appreciate the idea though......The final result of framing these pieces is very nice, BUT.....then I can't take them with me when I teach....and finding square frames is difficult. Actually, problem solving can be frustrating.....but the rewards are what keeps me so energized!