Sunday, April 19, 2009

THINKING BAMBOO

My studio has less than adequate surroundings for good photos.....too dark, too many shadows, but I hope you'll still get the idea.

As slowly as my last piece progressed......this one feels like someone has entered my space, made all my decisions, and done the stitching for me.  It's been that easy....hope that doesn't mean it's that BAD!


In honor of the fiber content of National Nonwoven's new Xotic-felt....with 50% bamboo content.....I decided to feature bamboo for this piece.  Remember....this product is brand new, it's being premiered at Spring Quilt Market.  You are getting a sneak peak.

So...for the design process I've been describing in my last post....I've now added the center circle....not necessarily intended to be a moon or sun.....   Next, I've cut and fused motifs of the eye popping lime green (Grass Skirt) Xotic-felt along with bits of brown (Coconut Shell).


I tried all kinds of paints, paint stixs, crayons etc. to achieve more texture and shadows for the bamboo stalks....but the fabric didn't hold the dyes well.  So, instead I did some machine stitching with rayon thread.

The day got away from me so the addition of leaves will have to wait until tomorrow.  I'm jazzed!!


3 comments:

Carol Sloan said...

I love this! Will you bring it to the next meeting for all of us to see it?

The Inside Stori said...

Tx's for asking to see the piece in person....I'm off to teach at 3 guilds this week....hopefully I'll get it finished in time for FAA.....

Dionne said...

What a fabulous piece! I LOVE it!
Cheers,
Dionne